Dear UCSD IM Family,
Please congratulate our very own Dr. Charlie Goldberg!!! He has been appointed the new Associate Dean of Graduate Medical Education. He is an amazing physician, teacher, mentor, and leader; he will be an incredible advocate for residents and fellows. We are SO LUCKY to have him leading ALL of GME efforts at UCSD!!!
If you haven’t done so recently, please check out Dr. Goldberg’s amazing website–a comprehensive physical exam and clinical medicine guide: https://meded.ucsd.edu/clinicalmed/introduction.html
We are excited to announce that the applications for all our pathways are open!
This includes the following pathways:
– Global Medicine Pathway
– Hospital Medicine Pathway
– Integrative Medicine Pathway.
– Primary Care Pathway
– RACE (Residents As Clinician Educators) Track
The deadline is November 20th at 11:59pm PST. You may apply to as many of them as you would like, and we will work with you to match into one of them based on competitiveness, interest, and fit. Please note that you may do the Integrative Medicine Pathway concurrently with another pathway.
Please read the application requirements carefully (listed at the bottom of each google form) to ensure that you submit the required documents before the application deadline!
Global Medicine Pathway:
Hospital Medicine Pathway:
Integrative Medicine Pathway:
Primary Care Pathway:
Residents As Clinician Educators (RACE) Track
If you missed the pathway interest meeting, you can hear a bit about each pathway https://ucsdim.com/pathway-interest-session/ or review more on our blog under the ‘prospective residents’ heading, then ‘residency pathways’ here: https://ucsdim.com/residency-pathways/.
Feel free to reach out with any questions. Thank you!
Luke Webster, CMR
If you’d like to participate in the research block elective next year, now is your chance! We are planning a session to set you up for success with regards to helping find a mentor, writing a proposal and submitting an application to secure this coveted protected research time during your senior residency years.
This session is open to those interested in pursuing fellowship, Hospital Medicine or Primary Care! Many residents who are looking for careers in hospital medicine and primary care have participated in this research block. The world is your oyster! Furthermore, if you are a 2nd year and have not yet applied to this block, there is still the opportunity to participate during your 3rd year!
“How to choose a research mentor and write a research proposal.”
– 10/23: AFTER Friday school (5:10-6:10pm) via Zoom (link below)
If you plan to do a research block next year, it is MANDATORY to attend this session with Dr. Davey Smith (If due to clinical duties, you are unable to attend, please let me know!)
Please see the blog for pertinent documents: https://ucsdim.wordpress.com/research-rotation/
You should be getting interest group meeting emails soon, which we highly encourage you to attend!
Please also fill out the following form to let me know you will be attending:
Let me know if you have any questions.
Luke, on behalf of the chiefs
In preparation for the ACT- ITE online exam that will be held online in August & September, we want to provide you with the information to prepare your personal computers. There will be more details to come in the next few weeks, but please prioritize this important initial step of the process by downloading/installing the latest secure browser application from the wbt.nbme.org site as well as current updates from your web browsers. After these installations are completed, please click the URL https://tls.testsys.com to verify that your computer’s web browser is supported. More elaborate details below:
NBME Web-based Testing – Window and Mac Secure Browser Upgrade
NBME has performed a Windows and Mac Secure Browser software upgrade. By upgrading to the latest version of the secure browser, this ensures that examinees who test during the 2020 ACP Internal Medicine In-Training Examination administration will have the optimal experience on test day. This year’s exam will be administered from Thursday, August 20, 2020, to Wednesday, September 9, 2020, except Labor Day (Monday, September 7, 2020).
It is Best Practice to upgrade to the latest version of the Secure Browser.
Windows Secure Browser Required Actions:
- Examinees who test using their own laptops should delete any old copies of the Windows Secure Browser on their work station/laptop. To delete older versions of the browser, simply drag them to your Trash/Recycling Bin, or highlight them and click Delete.
- Go to http://wbt.nbme.org/exam and follow the instructions to download the updated Windows Secure Browser.
- The upgrade to Version 18.104.22.168 should occur automatically once the customer launches the latest version of the browser (22.214.171.124). Versions older than 126.96.36.199 must be removed
Mac Secure Browser Required Actions:
- Go to http://wbt.nbme.org/exam and follow the instructions to download the new browser. Remember to drag the Mac Secure Browser icon from the Download tray to the Desktop.
- Always launch the Mac Secure Browser from the Desktop and not the Download tray.
- Upgraded Version 188.8.131.52; if you already have Version 184.108.40.206 and launch from the Desktop, you will be updated automatically. Versions older than 220.127.116.11 must be removed.
TLS System Update Required by July 2020 for Web-based Testing
To align with industry best practices, NBME’s web-based testing vendor ITS will upgrade its Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol from version 1.1 to version 1.2 (or higher). Some older web browsers are incompatible with TLS version 1.2. To ensure that examinees can continue to access and administer the 2020 ACP Internal Medicine In-Training Exam, complete the below Action Items:
- In the table below, review the Minimum Requirements for web-based testing with TLS version 1.2 or higher.
- Make any necessary OS and/or web browser upgrades to meet the Minimum Requirements.
- To confirm your system’s compatibility with TLS version 1.2 or higher, please access https://tls.testsys.com. If you are testing on a Windows PC, please be sure to access the website using Internet Explorer. If the ITS website is displayed, that computer is using a supported TLS.
UCSD Internal Medicine Residency Program Administration
Please use your UCSD meal money by June 30 as it will not rollover to the next academic year!
Please check your UCSD badges! If you have not been fitting for the 8210 (you should have a sticker with these numbers on it) or the Gerson, please go get fitted through Infection Control at UCSD. They are at both sites today, 5/28 and tomorrow 5/29, at Hillcrest in the 8th floor tower link conference room 8-309 and in La Jolla in JMC 6-708 conference room from 6am-10pm.
ABIM Certification Exam (Initial Certification):
Are you an R3? Then you need to register for the boards, ASAP! Registration opened this month, so register now and don’t wait! Prices go up if you wait to long! See below for dates!
|Exam Dates||Registration Dates||Late Registration Dates|
|2020: Aug. 17,18,20,26,28, or 31, 2020||Dec. 1, 2019 – Apr. 15, 2020||Apr. 16, 2020 – Apr. 28, 2020|
See the attached ABIM Blueprint for more information about what is on the test!
Please use the residency office’s mailing address when applying for your license or dea certificate. This address is posted under the “Residency Office” wordpress page and the “Resident & Staff Contact Information” wordpress page listed in the menu on the left side of the home page.
200 W. Arbor Dr.
San Diego, CA 92104-8425
It’s imperative to include the mail code “8425” so that your mail gets directed to our office.